George Michael

Ever since I remember myself in my early youth, I liked George Michael. I am an 80's girl. Careless Whisper was the ultimate breakup song we slow-danced to.This blog isn't about technical details about the artist George Michael.



Initially, I was struck by how few people understood what George Michael meant to me.My love of his music and writing is intrinsically linked to my deepest places Obviously, I take from this loss an understanding that life is short and you have to live your life in the moment and have fun as much as you can. As a mother, I still struggle with a load of laundry, a pile of dishes or a bunch of homework to do.

Before I became a teacher, I worked as a producer in a local radio station (Radio Jerusalem). The radio show was all about R'N'B, Soul, Funky and house music. I worked with a Broadcaster / DJ, we entertained every Friday and Saturday Night many listeners; we also welcomed to our show famous DJs (DJ Tiesto, Paul Van Dyke, John Digweed). Michael's music which can be considered as soul was always featured in our playlist Michael's music is considered soul music. After Wham! split up he turned to a solo career.  His music influences me, his songs are all about relationship, feelings and situation in adult's life. One of his best songs and my favorite is Fast Love 


George was bold enough to express the "thing" that no one had the guts to say, " I aint mister right …I just wanna have some fun… " .In his songs he expressed issues considered relationships, Careless Whisper, father figure fast love – when you first hear them, an image of lovers comes into your head, later in his life and his revealing his sexual orientation.

Michael released six solo albums. After his death, it came to light how much money he gave to so many worthy causes. This did not surprise me in the least. I never met George Michael in real life, but I think this thoughtful, giving nature of his was why he had so many fans. It wasn’t just the beautiful music. It wasn’t just the heartfelt lyrics. It was that at his core George Michael was a warm, caring person, and that came across in his .interviews I don’t think that any performer can get to Michael's level as .a performer / songwriter He was and will always remain a symbol in the music industry and an icon of uniqueness that the world would never seen .or heard

5 comments:

  1. Rivka! This is a great choice and honor to write about him! He was a great musician and performer. R.I.P George :-*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the celebrity deaths in 2016 (David Bowie, Prince, Alan Rickman, to name but a few) this was the most tragic - for me personally. I never really connected to Bowie - I think his music speaks more to the generation before mine. But George Michael's songs were a soundtrack to my formative years - the late 1980s and early 1990s.

    Fast Love is also one of my favourites alongside Father Figure (from his first solo album - "Faith"), Too Funky and many others. Pity I never got to see him live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great artist!
    What an exceptional performer! I also remember slow dancing to careless whisper :-) I love how these blogs bring back happy memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this blog serves multiple purposes :)

      Delete
  4. Such a great artist, I adore his song Carless Whisper. I remember when I fisrt started to hear this song, my mom was surprised how people at my age listen to these music specailly music from the 80s.
    You did a great job writing about him.

    ReplyDelete