All this Wonder in one boy?!

Contrary to what the title might suggest, Wonder is not all about fairy tales or super girls. In this case, Wonder is about a little boy.
Wonder is a novel by  R.J. Palacio , based on a boy, August, who was born with a facial disorder. The book,which was also recently made into a movie starring Julia Roberts, tells the story from many different aspects of the characters, including August. The main theme is August's coping with a new school and new friends. 


What I What I particularly liked is the way that the story is told from many different angles. The whole book is about the same story in August's life but from different points of view of people in his life, such as friends in school and his sister. Also, the book is written in a language suitable for youngsters but the issues that are brought up there are very important for every teacher, mother and friend. 

Overall, I think it's a must read book for every future teacher who may have to deal with children that are slightly different.

8 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I haven't read the book yet (I have it at home). Even my 12 year old daughter has read it, and loved it! Reading your post has made me even more curious about it. I will definatly start reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that as teachers we have to know how to deal with different pupils,especially because in Israel most of the classes are heterogeneous classes.Your post foster me to read this book as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really interesting! I've heard from many different people that children love this book, even those who hate reading... I'll be sure to pick it up in a bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen the movie on the weekend and i realize that i have to run and read the book.
    it's a must story for educators.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of people recommended me to read this book, saw the movie, but I guess movies don't show you certain dimensions of the story! Must read this asap :D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found reading "Wonder" to be such a joy!

    I loved reading the different angles all the characters had and found myself laughing out loud and bawling my eyes out at times.
    Getting to grasp how incredibly complex family manners could be. How each family member gets to experience things so differently.

    What a moving book it was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds amazing. Actually, I've never heard of such disorder and I had to look for it for a while on the web.
    I'll definitely want to read it sometime. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever since I've heard about this book (which is now is also a movie..) I was dying to read it. My parents actually bought this book, but as the married sister, I'm last in line... Reading your post just made me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete