The most beautiful sunset in the world

Imagine yourself sitting leisurely on a balcony facing west, a glass of excellent Assyrtiko white wine in your hand, as you look at the sun slowly descending into the Mediterranean Sea, painting the sky all sorts of pinks and oranges. Bliss.


The island of Santorini is the perfect destination for those of us looking for quality down time. It offers great food, incredible wine and stunning views, all within a short flight from Tel Aviv. Though direct flights usually operate during high season only, it's easy to get there via Athens year-round. The best time to go is May-June, September-October, when the weather is warm and the island is not too crowded. Santorini is quite small, so it's easy to see all the major sites in only few relaxing days. For example, the drive from the picturesque town of Oia in the northern part of the island all the way to the black sandy beaches of the south, takes less than an hour.

The town of Oia and the island’s capital Fira are truly breathtaking, with signature cliff-side houses and blue domed churches, but do yourselves a favor and skip the donkey ride up or down the mountain. It's simply cruel. Take the cable car instead – it costs the same. My favorite place on the island is Pirgos, a quaint village up on the mountains. Take a walk through the alleyways and everywhere you look you'll be met with sensational vistas. Some of the best restaurants and wineries on the island are in this area – you must try the delicious tomato fritters.

A good friend of mine owns a villa in the village so we were fortunate enough to spend time in Santorini the local way. It is a blissful place and those who visit are in for a wonderful experience on a wonderful island. We can't wait to go again - Yassou!

* The super hero in the photo above is my son :-)

16 comments:

  1. It looks like Heaven! Just bring me a glass of RED wine instead of white and that will be perfect:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Greek islands but I've never been to Santorini. When I was in Crete two months ago I was considering taking a day trip (by ferry) to Santorini, but in the end there was a lot to do and see in Crete itself so I stayed there the whole time travelling around the island.
    There is another island, not as well-known as Santorini, called Symi, which is a little hidden gem about a 1.5 hour boat ride from Rhodes. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to say that Santorini is one of my dreams. After reading this blog I'm more eager than ever. I believe that the sun fills us with the good energies and strength we need to keep moving in life. Every place I've been in the world was in judgment of where the sun will be the most beautiful at. So…... Santorini here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leo
    I know it sounds weird but white wine makes me sick! I could consider a Rosé wine with a lot of ice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best Santorini wines are white... I'm sure you can get by with some lovely reds from your homeland

      Delete
  5. Hey Zehavit!
    You recommended on my most recommended place! Well... it might be one of them. I love Santorini, been there twice, and still thinking about my next time over there. Oia, Thira, Imerovigli - are all top notch places. I loved the food also and it was the fist time i met the tasty capers. For me it's a very special place which really gives me the opportunity to photograph a lot.
    I would like to reccomend a hidden greek island called Agistri. A more quiet place, distant, and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very romantic and beautiful place. I'm always looking for new destinations to go to, so thanks! I think you just helped me with that dilemma.
    BTW, I took one look at the photo you attached, and immediately knew it was your son :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ~ sounds amazing Zehavit :) Santorini is definitely on my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GUUURRLLLL! It's on my bucket list too!!
      BTW Zehavit, that does sound AMAZING! :D

      Delete
  8. I have never been to Greece and it is one of the places I've always wanted to visit. Thanks for the recommendations !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zehavit, you should really consider changing your career to a travel agent or a marketing expert. Your description of Santorini was so vivid, I felt like I was there sipping wine on the cliffside restaurants of Oia. Thanks for the useful info and tips (especially the one about the donkey). Hope to do a whole Greek island tour one day! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Avishag!
      The trip to Santirini was quite recent so I could still feel the impact

      Delete
  10. I am going to Paris next week and you made me think about another destination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing,you wrote a beautiful description of Santorini, I've been in Greece before but not in Santorini, definitely it will be my next destination.

    ReplyDelete