God On Trial - Not only for heretics


Dare to question God is not a sacred cow anymore; take it from a religious girl.

"God on Trial" is a 2008 BBC/WGBH Boston television play written by Frank Cottrell Boyce. In this holocaust movie you will not see horrors, and you barely feel scared. In this holocaust movie your soul will be shattered. The entire story is set in one shed, where religious Jews meet unreligious Jews, just a few hours before the next selection.  In their despair, these men decide to take God to court (and between us, these days, when the differences in society can cause so much damage, it really gives you perspective).


What I like about this movie is that it doesn't spare anyone's feelings, it makes you THINK, it makes you deal with the hardest questions and puts your beliefs to a test.  Moreover, this movie is special because it does not guarantee answers. It leaves the audience with their own interpretation. It doesn't lead to one and only conclusion at the very end, but it definitely gives you food for thought.

All in all, I think it’s a must movie for anyone who wants to see another side of the holocaust, a side that is very relevant today, to us, as well. 


6 comments:

  1. This sounds like the most fascinating movie about the holocaust time. I feel connected to my culture when I watch holocaust movies and I have watched them all many times, and here is another one for me to watch. I love movies that don't end with a definite answer, I think it makes it much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very interesting.As you and Jasmine wrote, the more interesting is not to be given " the solution" but rather to make us think and ask ourselves what our personal responses are. Have you seen the movie "The Quarrel" by Eli Cohen? The movie is about two friends meeting in Canada after the Holocaust. One is a rabbi and the other one an agnostic writer.During the whole movie they argue about God and ethics. Very powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of it. Thank you for the review and recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound very interesting! Can't wait to actually see it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds interesting. I hope to see it, I like Holocaust movies a lot, especially the ones that are less graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for expanding my knowledge. You made me curious.
    I will watch it and decide if I can show it in class as a trigger for discussion about the differences in society.

    ReplyDelete